Friday, August 3, 2012

Bev's Blueberry Yogurt Muffins




Happy long weekend to my fellow Canadians! Are we doing well in the Olympics? I feel so out of touch with the news without cable TV. However, I do feel less brainwashed without it...

Yesterday my grandma would have turned 79. She lost the fight to breast cancer eleven years ago. Thinking about grandma makes me think of her recipes. She made the best gravy and didn't even like it! What a lady...

This is her recipe for delicious and moist blueberry yogurt muffins! You can use any flavour of yogurt you like. 9 times of out 10 I use strawberry, as it gives a nice sweet flavour, but this time I used organic vanilla. Whatever you've got in the fridge to use up! I would like to try it with peach sometime... yummm! : )

Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
 1 cup blueberries (fresh for best results)

Yield: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
Baking Time: 20 mintues
Total Time: 35-40 minutes

In a large mixing bowl, soak the oats in the yogurt. Add the oil, brown sugar, and egg. Mix well. In a smaller mixing bowl, sift the flour, salt, powder, and soda together. Gradually add the flour mixture to the oats and stir until just blended. Fold in blueberries.


Spray or line a standard 12-muffin tin with paper liners. Scoop the muffin mix into the cups at about two-thirds to three-quarters full and bake at 400 degrees F for 20-22 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes.

I made a double batch of this recipe, but used frozen berries (the first and last time I will do that!) Fresh berries won't turn your muffins a green/blue colour, and taste much better! I found that I had batter for 27 muffins instead of 24, so beware there may be some batter left over.

Helpful Hints:
-Use an ice scream scoop to help you divide up muffin or cupcake mix evenly. Start with one scoop per cup, followed by half a scoop. Divide up any remaining batter among the cups. This method will help ensure even baking.
-It may be useful to invest in a 6-cup muffin tin in case you have any extra batter that you don't want to waste. Space out the batter on the muffin tray as best you can and fill any remaining cups with water (see picture below).



3 comments: